VAR Training (Validate, Appreciate, Refer)
Active Minds will conduct a free, 90-minute interactive VAR Training (Validate, Appreciate, Refer) session for our students on Tuesday, September 14th at 6 pm. Training is required to become a Peer Advocate.
The training includes:
- Three easy steps to provide a path to listening and responding in a helpful way
- Students will learn how to respond via phone, text, email, in-person and video call
Training also includes:
- Understand the meaning and usage of the V-A-R tool.
- Identify at least three “barriers” we may have in place that may impede our willingness to engage with someone about their struggles.
- Explore circumstances that may impact mental wellness among our peers, colleagues, students, employees, family, friends, etc.
- Engage with current trends in mental health, based on data
- Discuss the value and importance of self-care as a critical component of mental health
- Take-home resources explaining the V-A-R tool
Tuesday, September 14 at 6:00pm